Thursday, August 31, 2006

One week in Cairo!

I have officially been in Cairo for one week, and today I absolutely fell in love with the city. I finally got out of the commercial center and downtown, and got to see some of the "real" Cairo. It's much more beautiful and human then downtown, and those traits make it far less overwhelming and foreign. For the first time since I got here, I can see myself settling down and establishing a life here (not for good, never fear!).

I've made a good friend who is also in ALI. Her name is Christal, and she's from upstate NY. She's a student from Mt. Holyoke, and oddly enough knows a friend of mine that goes there that I've known since elementary school. She has the same sort of goofy sense of humor that I have, and even likes to eat scary street food and lots of ice cream like I do (I had the best cantaloupe ice cream today!). I must admit, it's nice to have a friend again so soon; I really thought it might take awhile to find a good buddy.

I had yet to see the Nile, and so Christal and I met in front of the school and walked around Cairo for about three hours. We crossed the Nile at several points and went through several districts, both poor and wealthy. Some neighborhoods had donkey carts in the streets, other Mercedes. Some even had both. There was laundry hanging from most balconies, and food vendors everywhere. I got some really lovely pictures of the city, and for the first time, I found it to be a pretty city. The river makes all of the difference; the Nile is the soul that runs through the city and transforms it into something worth cultivating and remembering. I can see why it has such an important place in the culture. This may sound cheesy, but you can feel the power that flows through the river, and can't help but be aware of all of the history that has taken place on and around it. I can't wait to go for a sail!

I also went on my first solo taxi ride today. I've been walking when and where ever possible, and have only taken taxis when I've walked too far in the sun to walk back (which I am proud to admit has only been twice). By the time we reached Christal's flat, I was beat and decided that a taxi was the best way back. Thankfully Christal speaks quite a bit more Arabic then I do, and was able to give driver good directions to where I was staying. The driver also spoke some English, and seemed very nice. He pointed out some of the things on the way home and it was lovely to see more then just the ever present shoe shops that line my street. I didn't get ripped off (my second biggest reason for not taking taxis) and the crazy ride was fun after all of the walking I've done in the last week. So I end the day on a much better mood then I started it in, and we'll see how tomorrow goes.

No comments: