Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas

My only clue to the change of season is that fresh strawberries and Christmas trees have come to Zamalek. It is an odd combination, but then, this is Cairo and most things are odd to me. I find it hard to believe that it is Christmas already (this gets said every year, I know. But this year it seems especially true). There has not been a three month advertising blitz; I'm not hearing Christmas songs in all of the stores. There are no lights and questionable lawn ornamentation (this I miss) and I have done no Christmas shopping, and have no plans to do so. I know that it is Christmas only because the calendar says so. So it seems only natural to have the anti-Christmas rather then try to dupilcate what we do back home. A group of friends and I decided to head up to the Sinai, and spend a week on the Red Sea. If we couldn't have family, friends and home, we would have warm weather, blue water and palm trees. We ended up in a town called Dahab, and are staying at the Hilton.Our room has a hammock, there is a buffet (no bacon, alas) American TV shows and if I squint hard, I can almost pretend that I'm not in Egypt.

Christmas Eve was very low key. Lesley (who is also from Seattle) and I had bought a plastic tree in Cairo, and we set it up. Then Steve and Laura came over and we watched "Aladin" which proved to be highly entertaining especially in light of where we were. I spent Christmas day stretched out on the beach, with a book in one hand and a drink in the other. We brought the tree with us to the beach, and I went snorkeling mid-day. Much to my surprise, I did in fact see Santa. He came by on his camel and wished us a Merry Christmas. It was lovely, and a bit strange.

I hope that your Christmas was a nice as mine. Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: