Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sarabic 101- A Guide to my Colloquial Dialect

Sarabic 101- A Guide to my Colloquial Dialect

Since I am now officially a student of languages, I feel no shame about dropping in Arabic, Spanish or any bit random colloquial English into my writings. But to be fair to my readers, and because I don't want spend half of my time translating my verbosity, I've decided make a dictionary for ease of use. I will try to update it with any new words or phases as they pop up, and you are welcome to leave me a comment if you feel that something needs to be added. If the phase is in Arabic, I will do my best to transliterate for the best pronunciation.

Ahlan- hello

Ahlan wa sahlan- welcome

Ahwa- coffee, or coffee shop

ALI- Arabic Language Unit

Ana- I, my. "ana ismee sarah" = "my name is sarah"

As salaam alaykum- a formal way of greeting someone. It should be followed by "wa alaykum as salaam". Translated they mean "peace be upon you" and "upon you be peace".

AUC- the American University in Cairo

Aywa- yes, more formally na'am is used

ba'ara- cow

baqra- to read

Higab- headcovering.

Hamaam- Pigeon

Hammaam-Bathroom

Haram- Pyramid

Harem- Forbidden

Inshallah- if god wills it. Can also be used as polite maybe, as in "I'll meet you tomorrow, inshallah."

laa- no

Kushari- lentils, noodles and rice topped with a tomato onion sauce. Very, very tasty.

Ma'as salaama- goodbye, literally "with peace"

Marharbah- Hello

Masaa il khyer- good afternoon or evening. The proper response would be masaa il noor. Literally translated they mean "Evening of Goodness" and "Evening of Light".

Masr- Egypt, but can also mean the city of Cairo

Medina- city

PMA- Positive Mental Attitude

Sabah il khyer- good morning, and the proper response is "sabah il noor". Literally translated they mean "Morning of Goodness" and "Morning of Light".

Shukran- thanks. More formally use shukran gazeelan.

SOL- shit out of luck

4 comments:

Laura said...

In honor of Chuck Norris, all McDonalds' in Texas have an even larger size than the super-size. When ordering, just ask to be Chucksized.

Laura said...

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris? ...All of it.

Laura said...

Scientists have estimated that the energy given off during the Big Bang is roughly equal to 1CNRhK (Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kick).

Laura said...

Chuck Norris can't finish a "color by numbers" because his markers are filled with the blood of his victims. Unfortunately, all blood is dark red.