Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Sunny Day Blues

This morning I heard the sound of rain tapping on my window. In that moment between waking and dreaming, I forgot were I was. My bed was soft and warm, and I could smell my mom's blueberry muffins. Life was good.

Then real life intruded. Car horns jarred me into consciousness. The sound of rain was really my neighbor's AC dripping onto my window ledge. I was in Cairo, not Seattle, and I felt like I'd cut off a chunk of my soul.

I try not to think of home. I try not to think of my family, my friends, my dog. I know that I made the right choice to move here. However, if someone had offered me a plane ticket home this morning, I would have taken it.

By the time I got to school, I felt reasonably whole. Class went well, and I walked home along the Nile. But you should know that I dream of Seattle, of family dinners and days at the beach with friends. Know that I miss you. I will come home, but until then know that you come with me wherever I go. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Laura said...

Some people like to eat frogs' legs. Chuck Norris likes to eat lizard legs. Hence, snakes.